Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Darker Thing

Last week my co-worker asked me if I thought it was “a sign of trouble” that she was pre-self medicating herself with aspirin to avert the sugar-headache she was going to get from eating a plate of chocolate covered cookies.

Without missing a beat, I replied, “Gosh, I don’t know. Is it bad to take depressants to get to sleep after I’ve taken stimulants to stay awake? Judy Garland much?”

And then I giggled. Because, even though the subject matter was dicey, I was witty.

My co-worker looked at me with a blank face. I’m not certain she’s ever watched The Wizard of Oz, Meet Me in St. Louis, or The Pirate. She does not know who Judy Garland is.

Sadly, she didn’t get the joke. Even sadder, she didn’t get the reference.

Yes, Virginia, it is bad to pre-self medicate oneself in order to compensate for the anticipated effects of indulgence.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa I'm having some trouble with the e-tutor thing, can you get a hold of me and help me figure it out please?

    ReplyDelete